RPSG recognises and accepts its responsibility to provide a safe and healthy working environment for all its employees, tenants, contractors and visitors who use its premises in order to prevent injury and ill health, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and its associated regulations.
RPSG’s approach to Health and Safety is based on the key clauses of BS OHSAS18001:2007 whereby emphasis is placed on:
- OH&S Policy
- Implementation and Operation
- Management Review
RPSG recognises the need to focus on continual improvement of its OH&S management and performance. Our aim is to encourage a positive health and safety culture. To ensure this is achieved occupational health and safety is actively promoted throughout the organisation through the provision of information, training, instruction and supervision. RPSG operates a ‘low blame’ culture whereby employees are openly encouraged to report hazards, including near misses, without fear of reprisal to ensure the root causes of accidents are identified thus enabling measures to be put in place to eliminate recurrence.
Emphasis is placed on effective management ensuring a systematic approach to the identification of risks and the allocation of financial and physical resources to control them. In order to deliver these responsibilities RPSG undertakes to:
- Maintain a safe and healthy place of work with safe access and egress;
- Provide adequate welfare facilities;
- Ensure that risk assessments are being carried out on an on-going basis with employees participating in the risk assessment process. Assessments will cover RPSG undertakings and will assist in the identification of hazards and the setting of prioritised objectives for elimination and reduction of risk;
- Provide sufficient information, instruction, training and supervision to enable employees to avoid hazards and to contribute positively to the health and safety of themselves and others whilst at work;
- Consult with employees on issues relating to OH&S;
- Ensure access to competent health and safety advice;
- Provide plant, equipment and systems of work which are safe and without risks to health;
- Ensure safe arrangements for the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant safety legislation, regulations, codes of practice and other requirements associated with UK and overseas operations;
- Arrange for the effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of preventative and protective measures; and
- Commit to reporting OH&S performance within its annual report.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) takes overall responsibility for Health and Safety including the formulation, development and implementation of the Health and Safety policy within RPSG and requires the co-operation and support of all managers, employees, tenants, contractors and visitors in its implementation. The CEO will ensure that the Policy is reviewed periodically, at least every two years, to ensure that it remains relevant and appropriate to the organisation.
This Policy will be communicated to all persons working under the control of the organisation and will be made available to interested parties on request.